[linux-audio-dev] Tuning

Jan Depner eviltwin69 at cableone.net
Sun Jan 30 20:58:05 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-01-30 at 14:05, Lee Revell wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-01-30 at 10:39 -0600, Jan Depner wrote:
> >     Don't worry about speed with an instrument - it's way overrated.
> > Less is definitely more in that department.
>
> Anyone who tells you this has obviously never heard Yngwie Malmsteen's
> "Rising Force".

    Yes, I've heard it.  I used to be a big Al Dimeola fan too but I got
over it.  It's impressive to listen to but it's also tiring.  I'm more
partial to Gabor Szabo than Dimeola, McLaughlin, Malmsteen, Satriani,
Vai and the rest.  One of my favorite guitar solos is Neil Young's
one-note solo on Cinnamon Girl.  Interesting side-note - about 15 years
ago Guitar Player magazine asked 25 of the world's best (or more
probably, most famous) guitarists what their favorite guitar solo was.
Malmsteen, being the egotistical jerk that he is, picked one of his own
(he was the only one out of the 25 to do this).  IIRC there were 23
different choices.  The only solo picked by more than one of the
guitarists (three actually) was the aforementioned Neil Young solo.

Jan