[OT] players and... Re: [linux-audio-dev] Tuning

Dave Phillips dlphilp at bright.net
Sun Jan 30 20:51:52 UTC 2005

Jan Depner wrote:

>On Sun, 2005-01-30 at 14:05, Lee Revell wrote:
>

>>On Sun, 2005-01-30 at 10:39 -0600, Jan Depner wrote:
>>

>>>    Don't worry about speed with an instrument - it's way overrated.
>>>Less is definitely more in that department.
>>>

>>Anyone who tells you this has obviously never heard Yngwie Malmsteen's
>>"Rising Force".
>>

>    Yes, I've heard it.  I used to be a big Al Dimeola fan too but I got
>over it.

Apparently Al did too. Some time ago he gave an interview in which he
stated rather flatly that he didn't think much of his earlier recorded
stuff really stood up to his personal test of time. He felt the speed
was 'way overdone, that too much of of the flash was just more style
than substance.

Jan Hammer made similar remarks regarding his tenure with John McLaughlin.

OTOH, players like Malmsteen and a host of other flyers did raise the
bar for the expected capabilities of a fully professional rock guitarist.

Speed does where speed is required. Musical sense should always prevail
(except where it shouldn't). :)

>  It's impressive to listen to but it's also tiring.  I'm more
>partial to Gabor Szabo than Dimeola, McLaughlin, Malmsteen, Satriani,
>Vai and the rest.  One of my favorite guitar solos is Neil Young's
>one-note solo on Cinnamon Girl.

If you haven't already seen it, check out Jim Jarmusch's "Dead Man".
Johnny Depp plays the main character, the cast is filled with cameos,
and the soundtrack is an entirely instrumental track played by Neil
Young. Normally I can't stand his playing, but I love it for this movie.

Best,

dp