[linux-audio-dev] Best-performing Linux-friendly MIDI interfaces?

Jay Vaughan jayv at synth.net
Mon Jun 13 23:35:14 UTC 2005

>You're right. On OSX the MidiShare interrupt source can be derived
>from the audio timing, so that  the MidiShare time will not drift
>form the audio time in case an application has special needs of Midi
>+ audio synchronization. A timer only mode is also available.

well, see .. to me .. MIDI precedes AUDIO in priority, time or otherwise..

otherwise, what is a music event but a description of that event, executed?

>This "audio timer mode" is not available of other platforms where it
>was difficult to get audio buffer size (like 64 frames) not "too far
>form the 1 milliscond duration. On OSX with audio timer mode at 64
>frames, the MidiShare interrupt handler is called every 1.45 ms with
>a system that  call the interrupt handler twice every n interrupt
>(don't remember the precise value here...) so that is MidiShare time
>remains correct.

from a purely musicians' standpoint, 1ms ought to be good enough for anybody.

;)

of course, i reserve the right to change my mind, authority or none.

>An idea we had some years ago...

no reason it couldn't happen this year.

>but even when MidiShare time is
>synchronized with the audio time, a MIDI event still has a
>time-stamp with this 1 interrupt time resolution. We would need a
>more precise time-stamping  to do sample level synchronization.

but, if MidiShare is the 'hidden API' behind a nice front-end, and
Audio+MIDI events are happening when they should, who cares?

don't ever forget, Stephane, you launched an API on the world.

--

;

Jay Vaughan