[linux-audio-dev] How to access "real-time" capabilities

Jonathan Woithe jwoithe at physics.adelaide.edu.au
Tue Jun 14 01:02:06 UTC 2005

Lee Revell wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-06-10 at 11:12 -0700, Ian wrote:
> > Can anyone tell me *very briefly* what is the current
> > state of play regarding realtime-lsm in the 2.6.*
> > kernels and whether this feature (or something like it
> > ) is likely to be introduced into the kernel anytime
> > soon.
>
> realtime-lsm should be considered deprecated.  The solution accepted by
> Linus is rlimit based.  I think this will be in 2.6.12 (seems to be in
> the release candidates).  Check the archives for "rlimit".
>
> This will require patching PAM and bash.

In the interim you could try set_rtlimit:

  http://www.physics.adelaide.edu.au/~jwoithe/set_rtlimits-1.1.0.tgz

It allows you to access the enhanced rlimits (ie: RT scheduling and nice
levels) under 2.6.12 kernel or later without needing to patch anything.  In
fact, even once PAM/etc are patched this might be preferred by some since it
allows you to control the limits based on the program being run; so for
example you can allow /usr/local/bin/ardour to run at realtime priority 50
while /usr/bin/yes (for example) can't.

Regards
  jonathan