[linux-audio-dev] Re: multi-client hell

ix at replic.net ix at replic.net
Sat Jun 18 20:51:37 UTC 2005

> I didn't want to make that difference, but as every mainboard nowadays
> has a "decent" audio chip onboard and as every more demanding user
> (the "professional") has a second card, too, why not just split
> applications between those two?

right now, just to get the sounds out of all the apps running my setup is something like this:
                ,______,
gstreamer(AOSS)-| CARD |
   artsd-v      |      |----Amp
 * other ALSA---|______|
 * one at a time pls

luckily the card can mix 8 channels down to 2 in hardware, so everything can connect at once, but wtf? how would a normal user do this? i strongly disagree with 'just use two cards'.. its already a nightmare beacuse gstreamer wants to use OSS emulation on the same channel as mplayer32 (which i could get around by running a second jackd in 32bit mode, connecting to mplayer32 and communicating with the 64bit jackd via UDP over loopback), etc etc. i have to randomly quit apps to free stuff up and keep a mental note of which API each uses even with the additional hardware mixing..

luckily i have one free hwmix port left, to add this "polypsaudio" tumor..