[linux-audio-dev] Re: What Parts of Linux Audio Simply Work Great?

Peter Zubaj pzad at pobox.sk
Mon Jun 20 06:46:08 UTC 2005

>What I mean is if you have your soundserver, you are still left with
>rewritting every single app you ever want to use to use the soundserver,
>otherwise the problem still remains. There are a hell of a lot of tools
>around that use either plain OSS or direct ALSA.

Why not simply use alsa api. alsa-lib is not dependand on alsa-driver.
You can write(for example)esd alsa-lib plugin. All applications which
uses alsa api can be redirected to esd using this plugin withou user
notify this. If needed, it can go directly to soundcard or dmix. What
makes alsa unique is alsa-lib (I personally thing this is best alsa
part) not alsa-drivers.

Peter Zubaj