[linux-audio-dev] What parts of Linux audio simply suck ? - ALSA

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Mon Jun 20 17:28:02 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-06-20 at 13:26 -0300, Juan Linietsky wrote:

[stuff about manual IO post config deleted]

> So, my main question is *why* isnt this autodetected by the
> driver/kernel by default?

Because unlike Windows, we don't have complete hardware specs, so lots
of guesswork and trial and error is required.

For example the SBLive! windows driver has an internal database that
maps PCI ids onto the exact set of hardware features.  We have to do a
lot of guessing to get the same results.

Lee