[linux-audio-dev] What parts of Linux audio simply suck ? - ALSA

Christoph Eckert mchristoph.eckert at t-online.de
Mon Jun 20 22:10:47 UTC 2005

> -OSS/ALSA Conflicting modules in hotplug. Hotplug seems to
> make a mess in many systems i've seen, of loading ALSA and
> OSS modules at the same time, by rendering the system audio
> unusable.

I also had a lot of trouble which have gone since I did
disable all OSS stuff in the kernel. Don't forget to disable
the usb-MIDI and usb-Audio driver in the usb driver's section
- these are OSS related and you will get lots of trouble
(MIDI packets missing) when using them at the same time with
the ALSA snd-usb-audio module.

> -Mixer is very complicated, with lot of useless options for
> the card,

That's true but caused by the fact that ALSA tries to offer a
generic interface for the detected chip while the windows
driver usually contains a mixer panel created by the vendor
for the particular card.

I've been discussing this issue with Takashi at LAC. An idea
could be that ALSA at first searches for a user donated mixer
file for a particular card and if this fails it uses the
generic one. But let's be honest: Even if the ALSA team
introduced such a functionality I doubt that there will be
enough user contributed config files.

Best regards

    ce