[linux-audio-dev] Midi/OSC help - Continuous controllers

Alfons Adriaensen fons.adriaensen at alcatel.be
Thu Jun 30 12:19:47 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jun 30, 2005 at 12:20:06PM +0200, Olivier Guilyardi wrote:

> Needs checking indeed... Spawning an additionnal thread may be required.
> The reason why I don't "just do it" is because discussing implementations
> ideas before coding has been of great benefit to me in the past, especially
> here in LAD...

Ok, we'll have multi-threaded widgets.

> Why ? I can cache/compare values before asking the widget to update.

How ? If you require say a minimum delta in order to update, it
may never be reached unless it's so small that you will update
for every event anyway. Some form of timeout will be necessary.

Now we have multi-threaded widgets that are also aware of time.

Will you want to create separate threads and timer events for each widget ?
A complete MIDI decoder in each one ? Probably not, so there needs to be
some centralised control. The original idea of making this transparent
is far away at that point.

> Two controllers (mtk: midi toolkit) :
> c1 = midibind_new();
> c2 = midibind_new();

I mean you have an app driven by a controller (no GUI), and you
want to link in a second one. Your approach requires there is a GUI
in the first place, and that defeats the purpose of having an external
controller, for some people at least.

> I know what you mean. But I tend to keep my distances with such
> academic considerations.

I've tried this sort of thing on two separate occasions, only to find
out that I had been wasting my time. That's academic, for some value
of that word.

> Thanks for your input and criticism.

It's not criticism, but since you take it as such, I'll stop here.
Good luck !

--
FA