[linux-audio-dev] Midi/OSC help - Continuous controllers

Olivier Guilyardi ml at xung.org
Thu Jun 30 12:57:51 UTC 2005

Alfons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 30, 2005 at 12:20:06PM +0200, Olivier Guilyardi wrote:
>

>>Needs checking indeed... Spawning an additionnal thread may be required.
>>The reason why I don't "just do it" is because discussing implementations
>>ideas before coding has been of great benefit to me in the past, especially
>>here in LAD...
>

> Ok, we'll have multi-threaded widgets.

I need to investigate this question, I don't have clear ideas on the subject,
currently.

>>Why ? I can cache/compare values before asking the widget to update.
>

> How ? If you require say a minimum delta in order to update, it
> may never be reached unless it's so small that you will update
> for every event anyway. Some form of timeout will be necessary.
>
> Now we have multi-threaded widgets that are also aware of time.
>
> Will you want to create separate threads and timer events for each widget ?
> A complete MIDI decoder in each one ? Probably not, so there needs to be
> some centralised control. The original idea of making this transparent
> is far away at that point.

No complete decoder in each widget. First you create a core object which
encapsulate a decoder, with midibind_new(), then you attach this object to some
widgets with the midibind_attach_...() range of functions. I'm even wondering if
this could not be compatible in some way with the MVC pattern.

>>I know what you mean. But I tend to keep my distances with such
>>academic considerations.
>

> I've tried this sort of thing on two separate occasions, only to find
> out that I had been wasting my time. That's academic, for some value
> of that word.

I recognize that MVC is very useful to big applications, but it's not so
important for small ones IMHO. Small does not mean limited : thanks JACK, today
we can think about audio applications in the UNIX tradition of connecting
(piping) small apps together. This is the background to 99% of my linux audio ideas.

>>Thanks for your input and criticism.
>

> It's not criticism, but since you take it as such, I'll stop here.
> Good luck !

We misunderstood. I did not mean to be cynical or the like. I posted in here to
get some feedback for my ideas. I _wish_ to be criticized, in a constructive
manner. That's what you did and I do thank you for this, as well as others.

English is not my mother-tongue, and I may not have expressed myself correctly.
Sorry if that's the case. I meant : thanks for your constructive criticism.

--
   og