[linux-audio-dev] Lock-free gtk/jack interaction

Olivier Guilyardi ml at xung.org
Tue Mar 15 07:58:08 UTC 2005

Arnold Krille wrote:

>>My jackd manpage states that the default frames/period setting is 1024,
>>which means that for a frame rate of 44100 Hz, I'm around 44 periods by
>>second, which is less than a monitor refresh. And what if some user needs
>>to set that up to 4096 frames/period or more ?
>
> Wouldn't this mean that his system is very slow or at least needs such slow
> settings to run stable?
> Which in turn means, he is used to slow reactions of the system / the gui...
> And even if the gui reacts at once to his changes, this would confuse him,
> since the sound of his changes will be noticable later...

I have a habit of deciding wether software is good or not according to its
ability to run "fast" on slow systems, take for example the Gimp... I'm everyday
amazed by the Gimp.

And my first tests with a non-locking GUI greatly improve responsiveness on my
Duron 700mhz system. Additionally, if 1024 frames/period is the default setting,
that means it's the setting newbies will use, like musicians I know who consider
the switch from Windows and who don't have a clue what jack is. They'll just get
rpms or the like.

With 1024 frames/period I expect a 64bits quad-cpu system to show GUI latency if
I continue to lock (waiting for an ack from the RT thread) the way I do. In this
case, even the newbie will laugh.

--
   og