[linux-audio-dev] Jack-udp

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Wed Mar 23 00:45:05 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-22 at 15:36 -0500, Jordan wrote:
> The recent discussion of jack over networks has gotten me wondering a
> few things.
> Here is my current fantasy rack setup:
> 1U: UPS
> 1U: KVM
> 2U: RAID
> 2U: Master/DAW
> 1U: Slave Recorder/Node
> 1U: Slave Recorder/Node
> 1U: Slave Recorder/Node
> 1U: Slave Recorder/Node
> 1U: Gigabit ethernet switch (all computers connected through it)

I think for what that would cost, you would be way better off just using
the 2U master/DAW and a 1U KVM, and get a 32 or 64 channel RME card.  I
would also skip the RAID.

This also has a reasonable chance at being silent and portable.

I have thought a lot about building the perfect 2U or 3U portable
DAW/live effects unit (mostly the latter) because I don't expect laptops
to really be suitable for live use in the forseeable future.  They are
built for an office, not a rock or jazz club.  Anything that stops
working when someone falls on it or spills beer on it will never be
fully suitable for live use in my book.

Lee