[linux-audio-dev] Re: OSC-Question

Arnold Krille arnold at roederberg.dyndns.org
Tue Mar 29 20:07:54 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 29 March 2005 21:21, Robert Jonsson wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 Mar 2005 18:38, Juhana Sadeharju wrote:
> > AlsaModularSynth uses Qt's signals and slots in audio processing,
> It does? If memory serves me signals and slots are not realtime safe,
> moreover they are only allowed to be used from one thread. Hence, if you
> have a GUI only that thread can utilize these features.

Thats right, Qt`s signal/slot is inside-thread-only. But I think they have
some wrappers for multithread apps since they also provide the mechanism for
threads (->QThread)...

> > and thus requires the whole Qt and mixes GUI toolkit to audio side.
> > It could be wise to use sigc++ or minimal S/S code in audio processing
> > and Qt only in GUI.
> > But because Qt comes with every Linux distribution, maybe bad
> > dependencies can be allowed.
> I don't see why Qt is a bad dependency, on the contrary, having it all in
> one place seems like a very good way to cut down on dependencies.
> Since it's mostly used as a shared library the impact becomes much smaller
> as soon as you use more than one program linked to Qt.

And as it is mostly agreed that qjackctl is a cool way of controlling jack you
already have qt installed and loaded...

Arnold

--
There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the
Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be

There is another theory which states that this has already happened.

 -- Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe