[linux-audio-dev] Common synthesizer interface -or- microtonal alternative to MIDI?

Toby tobia.conforto at linux.it
Mon May 2 22:44:53 UTC 2005

ix at replic.net wrote:
> the option of a "Scale" might be convenient for those who arent
> wishing to compose drum hits or the like

I'm not sure I get all of your irony... :-) but rest assured that I
have good plans about this.  I'm designing the interface on paper and
thinking it over even before venturing into UML class diagrams.  It is
possible to compose music without a scale and I'm going to make it easy.

Hopefully.

> AFAIK this has been overcome by using 14 bits to describe the note
> [...] many VST hosts and instruments on windows for example accept
> floating point note like 67.1234 and its rendered accordingly.

This is *very* interesting to me!

Do you have any references/web sites/semi-official specifications/
list of supported software and hardware?

Every search I do for 'MIDI microtonality' and such yields information
about setting the tuning of hardware synths.  That is of no use to me, I
need to be able to specify single notes with 1 cent accuracy (at least)
from my sequencer.  If MIDI supported that, as you claim, it'd be great!

Toby