[linux-audio-dev] Re: GTK performance?

Juhana Sadeharju kouhia at nic.funet.fi
Tue May 3 15:42:29 UTC 2005

>From: Jens M Andreasen <jens.andreasen at chello.se>
>
>Is it gtk then? Or the pixmap engine?

I don't use pixmap decorations in my application, but
only one pixmap of size 800x600 was too slow. I used
the preferred pixmap functions of GTK2. The expose of
the whole 800x600 pixmap took 120 ms (8 fps). That was
impractical.

Then I switched to gtkglext which in my system apparently
uses Mesa with software renderer. (How to verify it?)
Now the system is fast. One app renders 3D objects and another
app draws 2D objects (http://www.funet.fi/~kouhia/enved7.png).

I would like to know if gtkglext in my system uses Mesa and
if Mesa uses software renderer. How that can be tested?

What I would like to have would be vertex and fragment
shaders for audio widgets. E.g., a 2D or 3D knob would
rotate with vertex shaders. E.g., a level meter a la
SoundForge would have a fragment shader dimming the top of
the black-green-yellow-red texture map based on the meter
value.

Juhana