[linux-audio-dev] Re: ZynAddSubFX 2.2.1 released

Jens M Andreasen jens.andreasen at chello.se
Wed May 11 23:59:53 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-05-04 at 17:07 +0200, Alberto Torres wrote:
> And what about a commandline option like --no-gui?

.. or like -invisible (sorry, make that ---invisible)

How is '--no-gui' better than 'unset DISPLAY'
How is '--display ' better than '-display'
How come everybody want's to reinvent UNIX with their own name on it

<tin-foil-hat-on>

:(

<tin-foil-hat-off>

The way I see it, when running from init, DISPLAY is always unset and
the app won't fail if it looks at the environment variable before
attempting to do anything stupid. The app is a synthesizer, so can
probably (or at least potentially) be controlled even better via midi.

Running under X, you can just minimize or hide it, to get rid of UI. Or,
like I said, do an 'unset DISPLAY' and check it before attemting to
dynamically link with qt, gtk and/or whatnot.

--

   (
    )