[linux-audio-dev] Aeolus and OSC - comments requested

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri May 13 01:18:38 UTC 2005

On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 07:52:22 +0200, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Fri, May 13, 2005 at 02:52:44AM +1000, Dave Robillard wrote:
>
> > FWIW, Om's OSC documentation (in both directions) is also online:
> >
> > http://www.nongnu.org/om-synth/engine_osc_namespace.html
> > http://www.nongnu.org/om-synth/client_osc_namespace.html
>
> Thanks, some more reference material to read !
>
> > An OSC note standard would be nice, but I don't know if it's even
> > possible (it's different for everyone).  Service discovery and namespace
> > enumeration need to just make it a nonexistant problem IMO.
>
> On MIDI, the note commands come on a 'channel' and this is handled
> in Aeolus as follows:
>
> channels -> [MIDI matrix] -> keyboards -> [coupler matrix] -> divisions
>
> Would something like the MIDI channel matrix be useful for OSC ? My current
> view is that OSC note commands should refer directly to the keyboards.
> Something like

There is a thing called Occam[1], which is a direct mapping of MIDI, I
suspect thats the closest you will get to a standard. You can ofcourse
define one, and stick it on a webpage somewhere. The first person to do
that in a non-offensive-to-me way gets cited everytime someone mails me
asking for a OSC note on/off standard, about once a month :)

My preferred form would be something like

/std_prefix/inst_name/base_freq f   <base-frequecy>
/std_prefix/inst_name/note_on   iff <note-id> <octave> <velocity>
/std_prefix/inst_name/note_off  if  <note-id> <velocity>

But seen as I've never written an OSC synthesiser, I dont get a vote.

1. http://www.mat.ucsb.edu/~c.ramakr/illposed/occam.html

- Steve