[linux-audio-dev] Re: Minimum reasonable latency

Alfons Adriaensen fons.adriaensen at alcatel.be
Thu May 19 15:31:03 UTC 2005

On Thu, May 19, 2005 at 06:12:56PM +0300, Juhana Sadeharju wrote:

> I dislike that the Jack buffersize must be turned up for all
> clients when one client does not perform well. It well could
> be that I would like to use the buffersize 32 for
>   A/D --> EQ --> M --> D/A
> and the buffersize 256 for
>          Zyn --> M --> D/A (the part M --> D/A is the same as above)
> where M is a magic processing node which mixes the audios
> having different buffersizes. M would be quite simple, actually.

IFF JACK could be modified to allow this then probably you wouldn't
need M, its function would be taken care of by jackd.

The problem with such a scheme could be that the load is not spread
evenly, so it would be necessary to give those clients that use
longer buffers a lower priority. There may be other troule hidden
somewhere...

--
FA