[linux-audio-dev] Re: OpenGL + Audio = Bad Idea?

Dave Robillard drobilla at connect.carleton.ca
Sun May 22 06:04:26 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-21-05 at 18:43 +0200, Richard Spindler wrote:
> On 5/21/05, Richard Spindler <richard.spindler at gmail.com> wrote:
> > And I'm experiencing very strange effects, like: without Audio the
> > OpenGL works fine. without the OpenGL, the audio works fine, however
> > when used in combination, the Audio Thread (callback) stops very soon,
> > and I have no Idea why?
>
> Hi,
>
> I think I found the issue :)
>
> reading the documentation really helps:
>
> > The main thread must call lock() to initialize the threading support in FLTK.

Regardless, you REALLY do not want to be calling rendering functions
from the audio callback.

Make them run independantly, the GL thread can run as fast as possible
(obtaining the best FPS), and the audio thread can run unhindered.

Blocking the audio thread waiting to render things is a really, really
bad idea.

-DR-