[linux-audio-dev] the big jack bug... > crappy audio on XRUNS

federico xaero at inwind.it
Sun Nov 6 15:48:43 UTC 2005

it happens randomly, while I play a soft synth, that jack XRUNs once,
and the audio become crappy, noisy, like a kinda of digital
effect....bit crusher?

then all synthesizers (all audio apps) sound the same sh*t...
i tried recording with ardour the output, and the output is clean, so I
guess is a problem of sync or something that has to do with the hardware
(soundcard).

in order to record this noise, i had to connect the soundcard output in
its input and record it via analog in:
http://xaero.ath.cx/jackbug_stereo.wav.bz2 (it is a stereo file, with
the clean track panned on the left, and the dirty one on the right).

i hope it could be useful to debug the problem...
what other information I can provide useful for debug?
note that this happens with many version of alsa (1.0.9b, 1.0.10rc2,
1.0.7 or less) and with many kernels (gentoo-sources (slightly patched
for speed improvement), ck-sources, ck-sources+realtime-lsm)

i hope to solve this problem, since my audio desktop is unusable as si,
since audio crasher after playng for just 5 minutes :(