[linux-audio-dev] Sound file format detection?

carmen ix at replic.net
Sun Oct 2 13:22:09 UTC 2005

> I currently just blindly try to launch the decoder for either ogg, speex or
> mp3 in series. I'd like to add flac...

a simple way - how about assuming files are properly named, eg theres no files matching *.ogg which are actually .wav format? although in the major web browsers a .gif saved with .jpg extension always loads without error..maybe good to check how xmms or similar handles this situation..

> wondering, is there a reliable way to detect a audio streams file
> format just given some bits of the header?  So that I could set the

InfoAudio ( ftp://ftp.tsp.ece.mcgill.ca//pub/AFsp/AFsp-v8r1.tar.gz ) is quite useful mainly for all the differing .wav bitrates/formats/endiannesses but maybe libsndfile already takes care of that.. for a mp3 it just says "AFfindType - Unsupported audio file type: MPEG-1 Layer III". and it doesnt even provide that much info for ogg or FLAC.. i still like it though

it would be great if there was truly one solution to this, on Mac you just use coreaudio API, on windows, you use ACM codec, but it seems each linux app has to independently support and depend on flac/ogg/speex/wav/etc libs, ad nauseum..