[linux-audio-dev] Sound file format detection?

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Sun Oct 2 12:01:50 UTC 2005

Hi.

My little time-compressing audio player yatm currently supports 3 different
audio formats, ogg and speex via the xiph libraries, and mpeg via libmad.
I currently just blindly try to launch the decoder for either ogg, speex or
mp3 in series.  SO if the first fails, I try the second, and so on. Which
kinda works but is a bit ugly.  I'd like to add flac support at some point,
which would make this even more ugly.
Additionally, libsndfile support wouldnt be that bad either, so, I am
wondering, is there a reliable way to detect a audio streams file
format just given some bits of the header?  So that I could set the
appropriate decoder algorithm based on that analysis?  Or is
there actually a library one step higher level than libsndfile which
does generic audioformat to PCM?  I guess not...
--
CYa,
  Mario