[linux-audio-dev] Transport Regions

Thorsten Wilms t_w_ at freenet.de
Sat Oct 22 12:12:24 UTC 2005

Hi!

I have been thinking about combining sequencing, (live) looping
and sampling.

I call the concept I arrived at Transport Regions for now (might
call it Areas, Scopes, Frames ... a native speaker's take on this?).

A Transport Regions groups n tracks, defining a common playback
posistion and transport state (playing, paused, reverse ...).

Loops can be defined with Markers.

A 'classic' sequencer/daw project would use only 1 Region, but
having several could allow sooperlooper like action, with the
advantage of simple extension, moving on from jamming to
production.

Transport commands to specific Regions could be recorded and
played back themselves.

Instrument type samples could be treated the same, with the
known markers, just for rather short loops, provided transport
actions could be mapped to midi/notes.
Multisampling would require means to map (midi) parameters
to track level changes and/or soloing/muting.

Patterns could actualy be Transport Regions triggered from a
track, from which they would need to 'inherit' tempo for normal
operation.

Well ... just food for thought!

---
Thorsten Wilms