[linux-audio-dev] 22050hz mono volume fading

Ross Levis ross at stationplaylist.com
Sun Oct 23 09:55:49 UTC 2005

It's my first post here.  I'm developing an audio player which has a
fading
up/down facility.  This is working fine except for 22050 mono samples.
I'm getting patchy loud noises (intermittent white noise?) while fading
the audio data up and down.  The original audio can also be heard
between the noise.

The basic equation I'm doing is (Excuse the Pascal syntax):

Data := Data * CurrVol / 32767;

Data is always 2 bytes of audio data (16 bit data).  CurrVol goes from 0
to 32767 or vice
versa over several bytes.  If I remove this line, there is no noise
generated, but
obviously no volume change either.

The problem only occurs when it's mono 22050 samples.  Stereo 22050
samples are fine, and mono 44100 samples are fine.

I don't understand why this is happening.  Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ross.