[linux-audio-dev] Re: applying RIAA curves in software

Chris Cannam cannam at all-day-breakfast.com
Sat Oct 29 21:41:38 UTC 2005

On Saturday 29 Oct 2005 22:04, Jussi Laako wrote:
> I've transferred number of vinyls to
> CD using this equipment with very good results. Wish there were open
> source or even Linux software for authoring DVD-Audio discs to take
> full advantage of capabilities of vinyl hardware...

Do you really think you can tell the difference between an LP and the
same LP transferred to CD?  (Assuming a decent CD player, and decent
hardware used to do the transfer.)

I have some pretty good equipment to hand, but much as I love the sound
of LPs, I honestly can't tell the difference between LP originals and
CDs burned from them.  (I mix and match the two fairly freely, so I'm
quite confident about that.)  As far as I'm concerned, the attractive
sound of LPs is a fortuitous accident of distortion rather than any
particular enhanced capability of the hardware.

Chris