[linux-audio-dev] Re: applying RIAA curves in software

Jussi Laako jussi.laako at pp.inet.fi
Sat Oct 29 23:31:06 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-10-29 at 22:41 +0100, Chris Cannam wrote:
> Do you really think you can tell the difference between an LP and the
> same LP transferred to CD?  (Assuming a decent CD player, and decent
> hardware used to do the transfer.)
>
> I have some pretty good equipment to hand, but much as I love the sound
> of LPs, I honestly can't tell the difference between LP originals and
> CDs burned from them.

Depends on equipment and especially on material. There's huge variation
on quality of vinyls available. Yes, with all-analog recorded direct cut
LP's and equipment capable of going up to 50 kHz. Or even better with
equipment with nice phase response capabilities, like full range
loudspeakers (electrostatics or magnetostatics).

With 24-bit, 96 or 192 kHz recording it's way much harder. With digital
recording/playback, most of the quality "problems" comes out of digital
and analog filtering involved.

--
Jussi Laako <jussi.laako at pp.inet.fi>