[linux-audio-dev] Re: applying RIAA curves in software

Loki Davison loki.davison at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 00:08:28 UTC 2005

On 10/30/05, Richard Smith <smithbone at gmail.com> wrote:
> > software seems like it would be horrible to me. Buy or borrow a decent
> > turntable. A few modern ones can play all three, for instance stuff
> > from stanton.  Though don't touch there needles, they are crap.  To
>
> This may be getting too OT so let me know if I need go off-list.
>
> I've been looking at some turntables from Stanton.  How do the DJ tables
> fair?
>
> Fex. The stanton STR8-100 looks sweet.  It has S-PDIF, phono, and line
> outputs and it will play 78's.  I can get a used one off of ebay for
> $100 bucks or so.   Most of the other decks I saw are just a bit out
> of my range.
>
> That lets me do a flat preamp if I choose to mess with all that, but I
> can also just use the S-PDIF or Line with the built in RIAA.  And 78's
> without resorting to software correction.
>
> I didn't realize the S/N ratio on turntables was so low.  What would
> those who on have messed with this before consider acceptable?
>
> --
> Richard A. Smith

STR8-100 are nice. Solid, reliable and not too expensive. I've never
tried the s-pdif on it and unless you have a pretty crap sound card
(anything by creative) i'd assume it's worse than just recording the
analog. But the analog should be quite nice.  Playing 78's on a modern
turntable is a cool feature. Get this and the cheapest ortofon e
needles you can get.

Loki