[linux-audio-dev] Laptop mic-input sound quality.

Phil Frost indigo at bitglue.com
Mon Dec 4 20:33:24 UTC 2006

On Mon, Dec 04, 2006 at 07:03:09PM +0000, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> Ivica Ico Bukvic wrote:
> >Good built-in audio + laptop = lesson in futility
> >
> >Ico
> >

> It is technically possible to get good built-in audio. It is just that
> laptop manufactures don't bother.
> For example, The Creative Audigy 2 ZS Notebook is a PCMCIA card that has
> very good quality audio capture, and that is sitting inside the laptop,
> so why can't the laptop itself have good quality mic input?
>
> Note: I will soon be adding Linux ALSA support for the Audigy 2 ZS
> Notebook PCMCIA card. Today I managed to get the mic/line-in capture
> working, but will be a little time before I have anything I can check
> into the ALSA repository.
>
> James

Echo makes a couple of professional PCMCIA interfaces that are supported
by ALSA (I think the kernel sources lack the driver, but it is included
in the official ALSA sources). I have the Indigo IO which is a simple 2
in, 2 out. I haven't used my laptop for music lately, so I might be
persuaded to part with it.