[linux-audio-dev] Re: [Alsa-user] alsa, oss and jack

Dominique Michel dominique.michel at citycable.ch
Sun Dec 31 11:28:41 UTC 2006

Le Sun, 31 Dec 2006 11:52:22 +0100,
Dominique Michel <dominique.michel at citycable.ch> a écrit :

> Le Sun, 31 Dec 2006 02:21:20 -0500,
> Lee Revell <rlrevell at joe-job.com> a écrit :
>
> > On Sat, 2006-12-30 at 18:06 +0100, Dominique Michel wrote:
> > > The result was at the sound from flash 9
> > > (some kind of worst case scenario) when listening to
> > > http://concerts.wolfgangsvault.com/ConcertDetail.aspx?id=2229|3385 was
> > > hopping all the time, when it's hopping without any .asoundrc only
> > > when I open or close a windows or when I shift from a virual desktop
> > > to another one.
> >
> > Did you install the latest Flash 9 beta?  Earlier versions did not work
> > well for me.
> >
> > Lee
> >
> Thank you Bill and Lee.
>
> It is the last beta from portage in gentoo, that is 9.0.21.78 and it is the
> last version (installer 112006).
>
> After restarting not only alsa but the whole system and running flash on the
> same website with just 2 open windows in firefox, the sound work much better.
> The processor load was very high on the first test. And I am able to record
> from audacity without any .asoundrc file.
>
> Is it possible to run flash with jack? My wm is currently fvwm-crystal. I try
> to run arts with konqueror and arts with jack as sound server. I can see arts
> in the connection windows of qjackctl, the sound is here but already hoping
> with a processor load of 17% and I don't have flash in qjackctl. So, is it
> possible to run flash 9 with jack and firefox?
>
> Cheers,
> Dominique

I try with this in my .asoundrc:
pcm.!default {
    type plug
    slave { pcm "jack" }
}

pcm.jack {
    type jack
    playback_ports {
        0 alsa_pcm:playback_1
        1 alsa_pcm:playback_2
        }
    capture_ports {
        0 alsa_pcm:capture_1
        1 alsa_pcm:capture_2
        }
}

But it doesn't work. I try it both with the jack-audigy configuration explained
in the alsa sources (16 in and out, 48 kHz) and with only 2 in-out, 44.1 kHz
and 1024 periods. The result was the same, flash start, i get a lot of output
ports for flash (16 or more...) in qjackctl, when I try to connect one of those
ports, I get "no ports available!". 30 seconds later or so, it is only 2 ports
left for flash and when I try to connect one, flash crash as well as firefox
and I get "unknown source port in attempted connection
[alsa-jack.jackP.12333.59:out_000]"

Cheers,
Dominique