[linux-audio-dev] Free Software vs. Open Source: Where do *you* stand?

Jan Depner eviltwin69 at cableone.net
Mon Feb 20 20:29:07 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-02-20 at 14:55 -0500, Pete Bessman wrote:

> This email is way, way longer than I intended it to be, and for that I
> apologize.  Remember that I'm not looking to stir up any hostilities, I
> just want to hear where people stand on The Issues and get a sense of
> the community.  I predict that there are people here on a moral mission,
> and there are people here because they get a chubby out of openness and
> collaborative development and such.  But I don't think I'm going to see
> anybody who's primary interest is making music --- although I'd love to
> be proved wrong, and I certainly think that things will be different in
> the future as the tools get better.

    I'm primarily interested in making music and, having seen what's
available in Windoze for under $10K, I think that Ardour is a better
solution.  Let me qualify that though by saying that I am only
interested in recording bands (mine and others).  I am not interested in
soft synths, drum machines, or other computer generated music.  For
those things there is a possibility that Windoze apps are better, I
wouldn't know.

    For mastering, JAMin does everything that I want or need (blowing my
own horn here ;-)  I only got in to helping to develop JAMin out of my
interest in making music.  I just happen to be a programmer so it sort
of made sense.

> So let's hear it!
>
> WHAT is your NAME?

    See below.

> WHAT is your QUEST?

    To drop the ring into...  Oh, wait, that was the other quest.  To
write and record some decent music (also, to find the perfect
Bushwacker ;-)

> WHAT is your FAVORITE ALBUM?

    Jeez, why don't you ask something easy.  Dire Straits first album,
Gabor Szabo - Macho, Frank Zappa - the white album with the pencil on
front (Live at Fillmore),  Deep Purple - Machine Head, The Dillards -
Live Almost, Dan Hicks and His Hot Licks - Last Train To Hicksville Home
of the Happy Feet...

--
Jan 'Evil Twin' Depner
The Fuzzy Dice

"As we enjoy great advantages from the invention of others, we should be
glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and
this we should do freely and generously."

Benjamin Franklin, on declining patents offered by the governor of
Pennsylvania for his "Pennsylvania Fireplace", c. 1744