[linux-audio-dev] Free Software vs. Open Source: Where do *you* stand?

Christoph Eckert ce at christeck.de
Mon Feb 20 20:48:25 UTC 2006

Hi,

being a desktop user, I mainly use Linux for the freedom it grants. The
software I use doesn't try to bind me to proprietary file formats, the
system doesn't hide things from me (not talking about my own ignorance
here ;-) and the collaboration with all the other people around is pure
fun.

But to be honest, it was never the easiest way.

Concerning audio apps, we have seen so many improvements during the last
three years that I want to ask you: What are you missing?

Three years ago I had to decide: Buy a Mac and install Cubase etc. Why
not? I also dream about doing an album one day. But I decided to stay
with free software, help improving it in various ways and today I'm
glad I did.

And yes, I did play a lot with the computer instead of making music. So
if Linux still is not enough for your needs, buy a Mac Mini, install
the Software you need and use it for making music. Use Linux for all
the rest.

I think it depends on the music you want to do. Linux is good enough for
MIDI sequencing and audio recording, there are some good synths and
lots of audio tools, but yes, there are still some tools missing (you
know best what I mean :) .

> WHAT is your NAME?

See sender.

> WHAT is your QUEST?