[linux-audio-dev] Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Free Software vs. Open Source: Where do *you* stand?

Jan Depner eviltwin69 at cableone.net
Tue Feb 21 19:44:42 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-02-20 at 23:41 +0100, David Kastrup wrote:
> fons adriaensen <fons.adriaensen at skynet.be> writes:

> >> Those people have not paid for access to your house.  Purchasers of
> >> proprietary software _have_ paid for access to the software.
> >
> > They have paid for a license to use it, and for nothing else.
>
> Well, then they might have some expectation to be able to use it, no?
> Without the ability to adapt the software to different devices or
> applications, or fix errors (or pay someone to do that), the software
> is crippled in its usefulness.
>
> When buying electronic appliances, at one time you could rely on the
> schematics being in the inside.  That meant you could make full use of
> the appliance, adapt it to different problems (using a radio as a
> guitar amplifier), repair it and keep it in working order, and you
> could take it to service men of your choice to have it adapted or
> fixed.
>
> That's basically what workmanship is about: offering the best to the
> customer to make use of.
>
> Just 20 years ago, it was customary to provide computer purchasers or
> service people with schematics, BIOS listings and similar stuff
> (partly on request and for payment).  Now it is trade secret this,
> closed source that, not for your eyes this.
>
> It is annoying.  If I want a Porsche engine in a VW bug, I can buy the
> parts and all relevant service manuals and plans, and put a mechanic
> to work.
>
> If I want Excel running on GNU/Linux, I can just shoot myself.  I am
> not paying for such crippled software.  If that means that I have to
> do with less sophisticated free software, so be it.  It is a price to
> pay, but at least it keeps me in control and power and responsibility.

     Survey says...  BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT!  Wrong.  You would buy
Crossover Office and then install a perfectly legal, paid for copy of
Micro$oft Orifice.  It runs fine on my system.

--
Jan 'Evil Twin' Depner
The Fuzzy Dice

"As we enjoy great advantages from the invention of others, we should be
glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and
this we should do freely and generously."

Benjamin Franklin, on declining patents offered by the governor of
Pennsylvania for his "Pennsylvania Fireplace", c. 1744