[linux-audio-dev] Re: Akai's MPC4000 Sampler/Workstation Open Source Project

Marc-Olivier Barre mobarre at gmail.com
Wed Jul 26 23:09:58 UTC 2006

On 7/27/06, Renich Bon Ćirić <renich at woralelandia.com> wrote:
> Well, very wise words you say. But, on the other hand, this piece of
> hardware is worth 3,000 usd. We have a ton of users to think about. We
> must provide compatibility with it's native format.
>
> It would be cool to be able to use all the OpenSource arsenal out there.
> But first, we need to clone... at least, that's what they have said (the
> users)

Sure, cloning must also be part of the deal. I was also thinking of
extending the possibilities of the beast while also supporting the
current formats used. If you have to concentrate your efforts of
negociations with Akai on something, let it be the full specs of their
formats (or maybe it has already been given ?)

The things you might lack if choosing linux are file format support,
and eventually some driver stuff. This is such a small part of an
operating system... compared to all the other stuff you would have to
create if you intend to build one from scratch.