[linux-audio-dev] Anyone wanna take over Shelljam?

Carlo Capocasa capocasa at gmx.net
Sun Jun 11 20:58:22 UTC 2006

Well, I went down and write the kind of software only a musician could
write, perfectly adapted to a musican's needs because the author is,
himself, a musician.

Unfortunately, those needs dwindled, as I spent so much time writing
software I didn't have any time to make music anymore.

So here's a brillintly conceived and hitherto well-executed program (I
spend nights figuring out the simplest way to accomplish the task at
hand, meticulously making use of advanced C++ features, and carefully
selecting only the best and most-updated of libraries).

Now I know this is some stuff people will want to use. Unfortunately,
using the thing's a little like eating fried zucchini only half fried,
of having a rare steak when all you can take is well done.

(Not a bad joke for a vegan, huh?)

I have to offer:

* A convenient framework that is tested and works. It tickles high
fidelity performance that I would not hesitate to use in professional
production out of your cheap old $10 computer keyboard through the use
of a smart little filtering algorithm. Using it, I have created the most
amazing sounds with ZynAddSubFX that I have heard to date, with
extremely little overhead. (Credit goes to Paul of course, I just the
thing a little I/O voodoo and dynamics)
* Using an input library platfrom that ALREADY HAS implementations for
all major windowing systems (including X11, native Mac, DirectFB for the
handheld people as well as some direct palm support). With this thing
eventually we will be using our our old palm pilots (or some version
thereof that includes WLAN) to remotely control our synths. Also, if
your inclination is to write something low level, thousands of users
will benefit from your work because you will code it not only for an
obscure music program but for a true Swiss Army Knife of I/O. Very
friendly developers and excellent recency of files.
* Using THE very best real-time cross-platform MIDI library. Very easy
to use, much easier than native ALSA and just as fast. Very portable, al
through!
* Ready road map adjusted perfectly to a real musician's needs in
professional production and performance. Be the man who made the star!

Features:
* Extremely accurate (<15 CPU cycles) response keyboard stroke to MIDI
converter
* Even more accurate Mouse to MIDI controller message converter
* Cheap keyboard support through elegant filter
* Extremely portable
* Very easy-to-use and widely supported hardware abstraction layer used
* Excellent portable real time MIDI library used from the famous STK
audio toolkit from the University of Columbia
* Rock solid stable
* Keyboard layout geared towards live performance
* Project page set up and ready to use, account data waiting for transfer
* Keystrokes read directly from hardware, no complexity through keymap
localization
* Support for text mode

Possibilitites for extension:
* XML based custom keymaps
* keymap creation and loading GUI
* friendly, untuitive libggi based GUI during play
* 'non-blocking' libgii keyboard driver for testing a synth while
manipulating parameters

I have a clear vision of this project and remain available for consultation.

Have fun with it guys! Eat up!

Carlo