[linux-audio-dev] LADSPA2: logarithmic hint

Alfons Adriaensen fons.adriaensen at alcatelaleniaspace.com
Tue May 2 15:57:44 UTC 2006

On Sat, Apr 29, 2006 at 01:00:04AM +0000, carmen wrote:

> > It's not possible for a host to know how to scale a port from just the unit
> > labeling.  Unit labeling and input value scaling are independent,  in fact
> > are completely orthogonal except in certain conventional cases like
> > IEC for some (not all!) dB ranges.
>
> ++. there definitely needs to be a 'logarithmic' hint. maybe even log(10)
> vs log(2). im sure this RDF/JSON/YAML thing can make a case for it

++

I can't imagine any sane interface standard for audio controls without a
way to say that the natural way to represent a port's range is exponential.

That is all the hint does. It does not imply any transformation done by
the host on the actual control value, only the way it should map to a
widget's range.

Ardour gets its defaults wrong for ports with a log hint, but that's
no reason to drop them. The reason why it gets them wrong is probably
because the code handling defaults is something like 10 times more
complicated than it need be.

--
FA

Follie! Follie! Delirio vano e' questo!