[linux-audio-dev] LADSPA2: logarithmic hint

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Tue May 2 16:15:20 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-05-02 at 17:57 +0200, Alfons Adriaensen wrote:
> I can't imagine any sane interface standard for audio controls without a
> way to say that the natural way to represent a port's range is exponential.

saying that the port range is exponential doesn't pin it down very much.
it still requires the host to make decisions about precisely what kind
of exponential curve to use for the range, and it may get it wrong.

> Ardour gets its defaults wrong for ports with a log hint, but that's
> no reason to drop them.

i suggested dropping it because it doesn't appear to me to provide
adequate information to use it correctly. i fully support having a way
to indicate that a port range is exponential if it includes *all* the
required information.

> The reason why it gets them wrong is probably
> because the code handling defaults is something like 10 times more
> complicated than it need be.

care to suggest a simpler approach?