[linux-audio-dev] Re: alsa, oss , efficiency?

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Wed Nov 1 22:20:48 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-11-01 at 22:32 +0100, lemmel wrote:

> Well, all the files, that I will play, will have the same charactistics, do I
> really need to bother with an hi-level API [2] ?
>
> [1] I noticed that a lot of applications still use OSS, and I thought it was
> because the migration to ALSA was too complex.
> [2] Futhermore I am afraid that an hi-level API will produce time drifts in
> the playing.

you really have not provided us with much information on the nature of
the problem you are seeing. dozens, hundreds, perhaps even thousands of
us use ALSA and layers of software built on top of ALSA every day to
play gigabytes of audio, and have not noticed the error you describe.
perhaps you should be a lot more specific about the s/w you are using
and the error you think you are encountering.

as for time drifts when using JACK, forget about it. JACK-based software
is essentially locked into the hardware.