[linux-audio-dev] OSS will be back

Josef Jurek jurek at cs.uchicago.edu
Thu Nov 2 20:01:58 UTC 2006

Hannu Savolainen <hannu at opensound.com> writes:

[...]

> The whole "OSS is depracated" issue is just  marketing propaganda used
> to enforce application developers to jump to the ALSA API. Without this
> developers would stick with OSS which is several magnitudes easier API
> to use.

"Marketing propaganda?"  4Front Technologies is a company that
engages in the sale of software for profit.  4Front Technologies therefore
requires and presumably has a "market", people who pay them for their
products.  I don't think the same situation exists for those
who develop ALSA.

> OSS and ALSA are very different APIs. OSS is designed for professional
> software developers who should get their job done within tight
> schedules. For this reason it has strong device abstraction. Everything
> that could be automated has been automated. ALSA in turn is designed for
> hackers (in the 1st place) who like to tweak every possible detail of
> the hardware. This means there is practically no device abstraction and
> the application should be more or less aware of the capabilities of the
> hardware. Which API works better depends on the nature of the
> application. This decision should not be driven by some political issues
> as today.

So you say:

  OSS:  professional software developers
  ALSO: hackers

How do others feel about this issue.  Here is an example
from past discussion: