[linux-audio-dev] Anyone else ever run a THD test on Jamin?

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Nov 6 14:14:04 UTC 2006

On Sun, Nov 05, 2006 at 06:07:33 -0500, Paul Winkler wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 05, 2006 at 09:44:14PM +0000, Dan Mills wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > While hacking around with aliasing effects in digital compressors (Yes
> > it is real, yes you can hear it!), I happened to run a 10Khz sine wave
> > into jamin  with an instance of Jaaa hooked up to the output.
> >
> > The results were 'interesting' as it appears that jamin introduces
> > easily measurable harmonic distortion even with all compressors and eq
> > bypassed! Switching the master bypass in jamin however does make the
> > effect go away.

That probably an effect from the compressors, someone pointed out
that there is a distortion on the falling edge of sinewaves, I've not had
time to look at it.

I did do THD tests on the EQ etc., but not the compressors.

> I haven't tried anything like that, but I did notice that listening
> to the low band soloed (no mids, no highs) there was some easily
> audible distortion that I couldn't get rid of.
> When turning off the solo switch, it either went away or was masked by
> the mids and highs.
> Not sure which version of JAMIN, this was early 2006 and
> I haven't used it lately.

That's not too surprising, the solos dont really do the right thing, and
you will end up with some distortion around the band changoever points.

- Steve