[linux-audio-dev] OSS will be back

Mon Nov 6 18:36:51 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-11-06 at 12:46 +0200, Hannu Savolainen wrote:
> Josef Jurek wrote:
> > "Marketing propaganda?"  4Front Technologies is a company that
> > engages in the sale of software for profit.  4Front Technologies therefore
> > requires and presumably has a "market", people who pay them for their
> > products.
>
> 4Front Technologies is just three programmers/developers. There is no
> marketing people.

Ahem... In my eyes the stuff you posted _is_ marketing. Nothing wrong
with that, of course, just don't be surprised if the target audience
does not buy into it.

> > I don't think the same situation exists for those
> > who develop ALSA.
>
> So you didn't know that key members of the ALSA team have been employees
> of SuSE.

My feeling is that technical factors favored ALSA over OSS (not to say
that the ALSA api is complete or perfect, of course). Obviously you and
others disagree about that. Re: SuSE, I don't know if Jaroslav was hired
before he started work on ALSA, or after ALSA had been around for a
while, I suspect the later.

Another important factor other than the (crucial) technical stuff is
that ALSA has been completely open from the get go, one of the very
reasons I switched a long time ago.

-- Fernando