[linux-audio-dev] OSS will be back (was Re: alsa, oss , efficiency?)

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Tue Nov 7 00:41:31 UTC 2006

Paul Davis wrote:

> I continue to have disagreements with the technical decisions that Hannu
> and others made with OSS' design. Other people I respect (hi Guenter)
> continue to prefer the OSS design. Either way, lets have a little
> respect for someone who got the SB cards, the incredible Gravis
> Ultrasound and many other devices working, who offered help to others
> trying to write drivers and generally has had a lot of similar goals
> that many LAD members do.

I think Hannu annoyed a few of us by stating that ALSA is designed by
hackers.

There is absolutely no question in my mind that ALSA is designed by
professionals. The difference is that 4Front is a company whereas ALSA
is a group of individuals, several of whom are employed to work on the
drivers or derive income thereof.

Many people have commented that 4Front have made their install and
configuration system very user friendly. That's definitely something
that the ALSA Project could improve but as the product is not being sold
it's not a priority and the docs are fairly complete. I like to think of
it as an enforced learning curve.

Installing the ALSA drivers is not the hardest task that Linux Audio
Users are confronted with anymore.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
Http://www.boosthardware.com