[LAD] New Post or what ...

Xavier Amatriain xavier at create.ucsb.edu
Sat Apr 21 05:00:09 UTC 2007

Jens M Andreasen wrote:
> Uhm ... But you said earlier that "you could literally walk in
> between ..."
>
> Is it OK if I get confused now?

Where do you see the contradiction? Ok, here is more or less the situation:

Large room, 297 speakers spread over the four walls at ear-height.
Speakers are one-way
mid-hi and around 4 subs are in charge of lows (not directional anyway).

The demo starts. You clearly hear the sound of the band coming from one
side of the
room (and the song... is that actually Miles and John?). You walk in
that direction and
can clearly "hear the position" of each of the players. Uhm, now John is
moving from
left to right in the stage. You get next to the drums, you can feel the
band around you.

You walk away from the stage and get distracted from the music by the
sound of
clinging glass and melted conversations. To the right a group of girls
laugh way too
loud as you pass by them. You get close to one of the corners of the
room and can
clearly hear two boys discussing where to get the best shit in town...

And remember, all this with 300 speakers surrounding you on the four
walls ;)

As a matter of fact I know the people from Iosono (Brandenburg a.k.a.
father of
mp3) are trying to team up with construction companies so speakers are
actually
embedded in living-room walls. We'll see it sooner than we think, I am sure.

XA