[linux-audio-dev] audiogui

Camilo Polyméris cpolymeris at gmx.net
Tue Feb 27 17:22:33 UTC 2007

Chris Cannam wrote:
> On Monday 26 Feb 2007 23:40, Leonard Ritter wrote:
>
>> radial is for weirdos with the motor skills of a clockmaker.
>>

> Correct!  But where have all the radial supporters gone?  There were
> enough to sustain quite a flamewar about this a couple of years back.
>
> I prefer linear in both axes (right or up to increment, left or down to
> decrement), so there may be some scope for disagreement after all.
>
> I've been considering making a small library of Qt4 widgets based on the
> ones in the current SVN of Sonic Visualiser -- dial (based on the
> RG/qsynth one), thumbwheel, panner, fader (based on Hydrogen).

Linear dials are counter-intuitive. If you see something you are suposed
to "turn" in real life, you will not try "lifting" it first. Besides,
with radial dials it's easier to control the value precisely --- you
want more precision, just move the pointer further away from the center.
Anyway I prefer faders. I don't really understand why one would need 4
(or more) diferent widgets wich do the same thing: dials, thumbwheels,
panners, faders, spinboxes, scrollbars, etc. The same happens with
non-audio widgets: lists do the same as radioboxes and dropdowns,
checkboxes could be replaced with togglebuttons,  (qt) toolboxes act
just like tabbed windows.
It is inconsistent and, IMHO, it looks ugly.

Camilo.