[linux-audio-dev] audiogui

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Feb 27 19:09:13 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 27 February 2007, Thorsten Wilms wrote:
>On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 03:45:18PM +0000, Chris Cannam wrote:
>> On Monday 26 Feb 2007 23:40, Leonard Ritter wrote:
>> > radial is for weirdos with the motor skills of a clockmaker.
>>
>> Correct!  But where have all the radial supporters gone?  There were
>> enough to sustain quite a flamewar about this a couple of years back.
>
>They are tired of this discussion? ;p
>(No, it wasn't just me)
>
>> I prefer linear in both axes (right or up to increment, left or down
>> to decrement), so there may be some scope for disagreement after all.
>
>To me, the main problem is the lack of agreement on wether
>plain knobs should be radial, linear-vertical, linear horizontaly,
>linear-both.
>
>That was part of my motivation for fan-sliders:
>http://leute.uni-wuppertal.de/~ka0394/en/fan-sliders/index.html
>

>I still think classic knob graphics imply radial and anything else
>is visual lying. Quite a while ago I worked on a concept of widgets
>with a knob-size footprint and graphics that hint at their non radial
>nature.
>
>First I worked out 2 ways how they could be linear without using
>only one axis. The first image contains 2 charts to explain
>the 2 ways:
>- using distance the pointer has been move from the center after
>mouse-down
>- projecting the current position to the nearest axis
>
>http://thorwil.affenbande.org/index.php/2007/02/27/circulars/
>

>There was one developer who pretty much insistet on knobs in
>Phat and who was at one point willing to implement my design(s),
>but then dropped it just because I called them not-knobs at
>some point (plus being busy otherwise, I guess). Nobody else was
>in sight, so I stopped there.
>
>> ... panner, fader (based on Hydrogen).
>
>Looked at Ardour 2 recently? I think you should have a look at
>the new sliders and panners.

A well done radial device would have some usefullness in another field,
that of machine control, where a continuously rotating 'knob' with a
decent calibration dial around it, could be made into a good substitute
for the handwheels on a lathe or milling machine.  If it could be made
into a fairly well self contained module, with only a quadrature encoded
output to be steered to the axis where you want to cause a motion, I think
the guys on the emc list might be interested.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)