[linux-audio-dev] Recommended books for new audio developers

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Tue Jan 16 12:30:13 UTC 2007

Damon Chaplin wrote:

>What are the recommended books to read for people new to audio
>development? (Covering things like synthesis techniques, effects
>processing and basic acoustics stuff.)
>
>On the bottom of the Documentation section of linux-sound.org I found
>these 2:
>
>Computer Music Tutorial
>  by Curtis Roads (1995, 1254 pages)

A misnamed classic. It's no tutorial, but it is crammed with
information. However, it's not really targeted to developers.

>Computer Music: Synthesis, Composition, and Performance
>  by Charles Dodge and Thomas Jerse (1997, 480 pages)

You might get more from this one. It's the one I recommend to newbies to
computer-assisted sound design and music-making.

>Though they seem quite old. Is there anything newer or better?

There are numerous texts on DSP on the Web and elsewheres, perhaps some
of the engineers here will recommend a beginner's guide.

>I guess for Linux-specific issues you have to read the docs/source for
>things like ALSA, Jack, LADSPA/LV2, DSSI & LASH.

Yes. Alas, publishers have turned a deaf ear to suggestions for a
programmer's guide to the Linux sound system. But the time is certainly
right for such a guide.

Best,

dp