[linux-audio-dev] Sound processing objects architecture, is it possible?

Steve Harris steve at plugin.org.uk
Tue Jan 23 14:25:52 UTC 2007

On 23 Jan 2007, at 13:19, Stefano D'Angelo wrote:

>> but a
>> ports

>> > Oops... seems like I'm a bit confused! Well, I'm going to reread
>> the
>> > LV2 spec and try to figure out how to manage this kind of
>> situations.
>> > Sorry for wasting your time!
>>
>> Not at all, at the very least it points out that the LV2 spec needs
>> to be clearer, and probably needs better examples.
>>
>> - Steve
>>

> Well, maybe it's because I'm not very good at English :-)
> However I have another question: how would a LV2 VST loader plugin
> could communicate to the host a VST plugin info? This could be done
> only via an extension?

That's the slightly tricky part, the VST reflector would have to
generate an RDF file describing all the VST plugins it knows about.
That will work fine, and is not particularly difficult, but it could
be made slicker with an extension that allowed the VST reflector to
generate that file dynamically.

> Then, if I understood correctly, such LV2 VST loader plugin, when
> asked for effects, should return a list of all effects of all VST
> plugins it knows about?

Yes, it can just return the URIs of all the installed VST effects as
return values of the lv2_descriptor() calls. The host calls it
repeatedly until it's found all the effects.

- Steve