[linux-audio-dev] Old hat - comparison against windows

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Wed Jan 31 22:43:29 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 31 January 2007 23:39, Lee Revell wrote:
> On 1/31/07, David Olofson <david at olofson.net> wrote:
> > That said, as you can't use all CPU time on a UP machine anyway,
> > and
> > as cache issues seem to make multithreaded processing virtually
> > pointless (with the possible exception of multicore CPUs), it's
> > entirely possible that there is no real gain in cutting latencies
> > below what 2.6-rt can provide. I don't know, but it might be worth
> > some experiments...
>
> Maximum jitter with 2.6-rt is 20-50 microseconds last time I
> checked.
> So less than 5% even at a marginally useful period sizes like 32
> frames.

Well, that's not even an order of magnitude away from what you can get
with a "true" RTOS on this type of hardware. (You can get a lot worse
with crappy motherboards, regardless of OS...)

If that's really the worst case, I don't think there is room for any
significant improvement, even in theory. :-)

.-------  http://olofson.net - Games, SDL examples  -------.
|        http://zeespace.net - 2.5D rendering engine       |
|       http://audiality.org - Music/audio engine          |
|     http://eel.olofson.net - Real time scripting         |