[LAD] [ANN] New AlsaPlayer releases

Wolfgang Woehl tito at rumford.de
Wed Jul 11 09:53:59 UTC 2007

Dienstag, 10. Juli 2007 22:32 Dominique Michel:

> AlsaPlayer-0.99.80-rc2 is the new GTK2 release of this versatile audio
> player.

Great. Thank you, I'm using alsaplayer for years and I like its non-bloat
approach a lot. Wish it could play more formats though, for example "rbs"
(MPEG ADTS, layer III, v2,  32 kBits, 22.05 kHz, Monaural).

> A lot of debugging and improvements has been made on the GTK2 interface
> (and under the surface too). The GTK1 interface was removed in the process.
> GTK2 is now fully internationalized and a few languages are provided.
>
> Extended header support in mp3 file is added, so the console will not
> complain anymore about this, and the user's experience is improved.
> Every user is encouraged to upgrade AlsaPlayer and help with development,
> bug reports, feature requests, translations...
> We need your help with a few things:

> * Bug reports

This one might qualify: alsaplayer seems to depend on file suffixes.
Like "alsaplayer music.flac" plays ok. cp music.flac music -> "alsaplayer
music" -> does not play.

It might feel more natural if playback with negative speed (backwards) jumped
backwards on file boundaries, not forward.

rc2's playlist now prints "Unknown" (alongside the filename) for untagged
files which I have a lot of. I liked the old way better: gracefully ignore
the absence of tags and print the filename only.

Frank's feature request ++

Be good, Wolfgang