[LAD] [ANN] New AlsaPlayer releases

Dominique Michel dominique.michel at citycable.ch
Wed Jul 11 17:30:48 UTC 2007

Le Wed, 11 Jul 2007 11:53:59 +0200,
Wolfgang Woehl <tito at rumford.de> a écrit :

> Dienstag, 10. Juli 2007 22:32 Dominique Michel:
>
> > AlsaPlayer-0.99.80-rc2 is the new GTK2 release of this versatile audio
> > player.
>
> Great. Thank you, I'm using alsaplayer for years and I like its non-bloat
> approach a lot. Wish it could play more formats though, for example "rbs"
> (MPEG ADTS, layer III, v2,  32 kBits, 22.05 kHz, Monaural).

I can add it on the TODO list. It will be great if folks can contribute more
input plugins. It is currently some work in progress in the svn
(trunk_/experimental): ape, wavpack, tta and ffmpeg. This last one is at a very
early stage.

> > A lot of debugging and improvements has been made on the GTK2 interface
> > (and under the surface too). The GTK1 interface was removed in the process.
> > GTK2 is now fully internationalized and a few languages are provided.
> >
> > Extended header support in mp3 file is added, so the console will not
> > complain anymore about this, and the user's experience is improved.
> > Every user is encouraged to upgrade AlsaPlayer and help with development,
> > bug reports, feature requests, translations...
> > We need your help with a few things:
>
> > * Bug reports
>
> This one might qualify: alsaplayer seems to depend on file suffixes.
> Like "alsaplayer music.flac" plays ok. cp music.flac music -> "alsaplayer
> music" -> does not play.

We must look at it. We was discussing to implement a TCP based interface, so I
don't know if we will do that when implementing this or before.

> It might feel more natural if playback with negative speed (backwards) jumped
> backwards on file boundaries, not forward.

I don't understand what you mean. Can you explain more please?

> rc2's playlist now prints "Unknown" (alongside the filename) for untagged
> files which I have a lot of. I liked the old way better: gracefully ignore
> the absence of tags and print the filename only.

I agree with you. I will add it high on the todo list.