[LAD] simulating analog audio devices part II

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Wed Jun 6 19:43:31 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jun 06, 2007 at 07:54:57PM +0200, Robin Gareus wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> I've added libsamplerate for resampling/oversampling which - as expected
> - dramatically improves the quality of the ngspice processed sound.
>
> Here's some example 3sec guitar sound from current testing:
>   http://mir.dnsalias.com/_media/oss/spicesound/git-fuzz64.mp3
>   (left channel: resampled input-sound, right channel: fuzz-effect out)
>   http://mir.dnsalias.com/oss/spicesound/examples#audio_example
>
> The fuzz effect still sounds a little odd, but I believe that a
> DI-recording would sound just like that ;) -  I have not progressed to
> simulating tube-amps or synths yet.. lack of time, netlists and
> tube-models; it's low priority ATM.

It's certainly in the ballpark of a foxxtone... hard to say without
doing a direct comparison with the same input, and I've never recorded
a foxxtone "direct".

Maybe try running the output file through Tim's CabSim plugin?

hmm... I'm looking around for recordings made with my foxxtone with
the octave switch on... can't find any. I have several with the
octave switch off... like the choruses of both of these songs:
http://www.reacharms.com/mp3/foundout.mp3
http://www.reacharms.com/mp3/separation.mp3
Both were played on a home-modified instrument with two bass strings
and 4 guitar strings.

... man, those sound awful, I gotta re-encode those (I think that was
bladeenc at fixed 128 kbps, bad choice for rock music.)

I haven't listened to those in a while... forgot how edgy his lyrics
got :)

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com